Thursday, May 16, 2013

Antibacteral everything? Really!?

Watching the news recently, you may have noticed all the talk about super bugs and resistant strains of bacteria.  I don't know about you but that scares me.  There is a general agreement to the cause.  Over use of antibiotics is the cause of bacterial resistance.  Well Duh!  But in my humble opinion, over use of antibiotics are not the only cause.  Look around your house, how many products are "antibacterial"? Everything from hand sanitizer to dish soap and floor cleaner to laundry soap.   Really if you clean on a regular basis you don't need these products.  Also think about how many times one of your kids  gets a little cut or scrap and you run to the antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.  I am not saying never use Neosporin, but for a paper cut or a skinned knee soap and water are fine.  Seriously, think about what I  am saying.

I went looking at the store today for liquid hand soap.  I didn't like what I found.  Everything is antibacterial.  I don't want that, just washing hands is enough.  So I am embarking on a venture of making my own liquid hand soap.

Update:

I worked. and with 2 ingredients, and a nice low cost of about $0.50 a bottle.

Home made liquid hand soap

  • 6 bars of soap of your choice
  • 1 gallon of water
You will also need pump bottles and a gallon jug.

Shred the two bars of soap while the water is coming to a boil.  Then add the soap shreds to the  water.  Stir frequently and make sure it doesn't bottle over.  When all the soap has melted turn the heat down and let simmer for about 5 minutes.  Then let cool about 10 minutes before pouring in the gallon jug.  Then refill you hand soap bottles as needed.

If you make your own bars of soap they will work too as long as they aren't chunky.


No comments:

Post a Comment