Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pinto Bean Pie

I know pinto bean pie sounds gross at first thought, but before you turn your nose up at it, try it!  When my friend Miss R told me about it I was very skeptical.  I made it for my family and without telling them it was pinto beans.  They loved it.  J knew that it was pinto beans and his comment was it taste just like pumpkin pie.  Yes it does. And the best part of it is that it can be made from food storage items.  I have spoken in earlier post about the need for comfort items and to keep things normal well at my house a cake or a pie every now and then is made just for the heck of it.  

Pinto Bean Pie

  • 2 cups pinto beans
  • small potato
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • 2 pie crust (store bought or handmade will have a blog post about that later)
  • 1  c sugar (or 1/2 c stevia)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cans evaporated milk (1 1/2 c if mixing powder evaporated milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Next 3 can be adjusted but I like mine pumpkin pie every spicy if you don't then cut in half.
  • 3 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
First you have to cook your beans:
add the 2 cups of pintos to a large sauce pan add the baking soda and potato ( I am told the baking soda and potato help lessen the gassiness) add 4 cups of water and cook your beans as normal.  Until they are soft.  When they are done drain and remove the potato ( save for stew or mashed potatoes)

Next you preheat the oven to 350
In a blender or food processor ( or by hand)  mush up the beans until they are smooth.  Then in a large mixing bowl mix the sugar, beans, milk, eggs, vanilla, and seasonings together.   Then pour into the pie shells.  Place the pie pan/s on a cookie sheet to help with clean up just in case.  Bake for 45-60 minutes.  Until you can insert a butter knife in the center and it comes back clean.

I promise it is Yummy!!! M liked it and he is picky and typically hates beans of any kind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment