Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tomato Barley Soup

Yesterday I was packing meal bottles.  When I was done I had just a little bit of barley left, I hate that.  I want to have all done and neat.  So I started searching the internet for a barley recipe that could be converted for food storage.  I wasn't thinking I would find anything low carb, it is barley.  I found a recipe for Tomato Barley Soup, and when I got it made for food storage, I crunched the numbers so I could write the carbs on the bottle.  WOW, 6 carbs per serving Seriously only 6 carbs.  For those of you that are diabetic that isn't even enough to give S a shot being her scale is 1/20.  That would cut down on the amount of insulin use in hard times.

Tomato Barley Soup

1 c pearled barley
1 c chopped dried onion
1 cup tomato boulion (4 cubes) 
salt and pepper to taste
2 cubes of chicken boullion
I added a 1/4 c of lentils but you can do dried carrots

To cook 4 c water, and it serves 6 with 6 carbs each.


No comments:

Post a Comment